Sunday, August 2, 2015

Inapark Loves Sara Benincasa.

At the beginning of the year, I decided to say Yes to anything remotely creative that found it's way to me. I did this a few years ago, and it was the best year of my life. Glad Day Bookshop is a store in downtown Toronto that carries my books, and I adore them. The staff, the atmosphere, it's just a lovely place to be. When they asked me if I wanted to open up for Sara Benincasa, a comedian and writer from New York, my first instinct was to say, "ABSOLUTELY NOT ARE YOU KIDDING ME I WILL CRASH AND BURN SHE'S ACTUALLY A REAL COMEDIAN AND WRITER NO." So I sucked it up and said yes. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had. Aside from Sara being funny and creative and just an awesome comedian, she is a wonderful person who, in my opinion, went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable and secure in being there. I found myself focused on trying to make her, specifically, laugh throughout my set. And laugh she did, and genuinely! It was awesome. I picked up Agorafabulous when I asked her what book I should buy of hers, and I cannot wait to pick up the rest. This book is just so good. That sounds trivial but when I finished it, and was talking to my Mom, I just kept saying, "It was really really good." I loved it, love her, and can't wait to support her in future endeavours. Buy this book; especially if you have anxiety or mental health issues. It's relatable and funny and sad at some points and so honest and just really, really good.

No comments: