Saturday, November 22, 2008

My letter to Hasbro, the makers of the board game, "Sorry"


November 22, 2008
My letter to Hasbro, the makers of the board game, "Sorry"


Dear Hasbro,

My name is Sarah Bertrand and I am 25. I am writing a letter of apology, for the board game that your company has spawned.
I'm "sorry" I ever purchased your desperate and unsuccessful grasp at proving you're still a legitimate source of quality entertainment for the gaming community; the board game, "Sorry".

Your commercial was a perfect example of everything that is wrong with this world today. It depicts a brat unabashedly demoralizing her family in her quest for victory. Even though I was apalled when I witnessed, this, I never thought I would have to worry about this venomous inexcusable behaviour from my daughter. So, somewhat hesitantly, I conceded against my better judgement. Allow me to set the scene for you, Hasbro. It's Friday night. I'm a single mother, home alone with my seven year old daughter Apple. I bring home a new game that I purchased at the local Wal Mart to surprise my daughter, and explain the regulations, and we commence playing. She informs me she's already seen a commercial for said board game, and knows how it works. I'm caught offguard, but not concerned because I know I raised my daughter right.

Long story short, my daughter began beating me at the game, knocked my gaming piece off my square and back a significant amount, looked at me with a smug grin, and sarcastically spat at me, "Sorry!" while rolling her eyes.

I was shocked. Mortified even. I threw the board off of the table, started spinning around and sobbing, and grounded my daughter until her birthday. In 2032. Now Hasbro, since up until that point I had only had a few drinks that night, I know I did not overreact. I believe that "Sorry" is singlehandedly responsible for teaching kids disrespect, belittling their elders, the recent collapse of the economy, and ruining the genuine and sincere foundation Canadian families have fought so hard to create in this day and age.

It made me question what kind of a mother I had been thus far if Apple could bring herself to speak to me in such a way, and moreso than anything else, it made me really want to give her something to be really "sorry" about. She hates to lose.. almost as much as I hate when my glass is empty, if you catch my drift. And in the end, when I broke that board game over my knee screamed at her that Santa wasn't real, everyone lost in my household, Mr. Hasbro. Everyone.
Hasbro, I'm sorry I ever purchased the game, sorry I ever ruined family time with this unimaginative tool of the devil, and I demand retribution.

I have enrolled myself in 12 weeks of parenting classes, at $300 per class, to see where it was that I went wrong. I believe it's necessary, and I am sure you'll find no issue with covering the cost. I also would appreciate a letter of apology to Apple and I, $29.95 plus applicable taxes for the cost of the game that I had to burn in a cleansing ritual in my backyard. In addition, a recommendation for a new, more genuine and less hurtful game. Something that preferably includes dinosaurs, and or bright colors and a thimble.

Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from your representatives soon. "Sorry" if this was ill received; it was not my intention to ruffle feathers. I'm just a lonely, competitive, simple woman who has a fear of losing; games, money, or the respect of her family.

Sincerely,
Sarah Bertrand


***REPLY: November 17/2008***

Consumer complaint to Hasbro, Inc. re: Sorry
Monday, November 17, 2008 11:42 AM
From: "Meehan, Christine"
To: sarahbertrand13@yahoo.com

Ms. Bertrand, your recent contact to Hasbro about your recent experience with our Sorry game has been forwarded to me for response. Unfortunately, I do not have a phone number for you. Please contact me at 1-800-242-7276, ext. 5625, to discuss at your convenience.

Christine Meehan
Office of Corporate Compliance
Hasbro, Inc.

No comments: